Saturday, May 28, 2011

While I'm On The Subject

I found a short essay on why some Southerners are ashamed of their heritage. Though I'm sure there are many reasons for why people do what they do I think this is a very well written essay and holds a lot of truth. You can read it here.


Enoch Hooper Cook Jr., private 38th Alabama Infantry

Unreconstructed Rebel or I'm A Good Old Rebel

Originally printed in 1914 in Collier's Weekly. The words are by Major Innes Randolph, a member of J.E.B. Stuart's staff.



Oh, I'm a good old Rebel

Now that's just what I am

For this fair land of freedom

I do not care a damn.

I'm glad I fought against it

I only wish we'd won.

And I don't want no pardon

For anything I've done.



I hates the Constitution

This great Republic too

I hates the Freedmen's Bureau

In uniforms of blue.

I hates the nasty eagle

With all his brag and fuss

But the lyin', thievin' Yankees

I hates' em worse and worse



Three hundred thousand Yankees

Lies still in Southern dust

We got three hundred thousand

Before they conquered us

They died of Southern fever

And Southern steel and shot

I wish they was three million

Instead of what we got.



I can't take up my musket

And fight' em now no more

But I ain't a-goin' to love' em

Now that is certain sure

And I don't want no pardon

For what I was and am

And I won't be reconstructed

And I do not give a damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to leave a comment. Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.