Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hatless





Normally when I'm blogging I wear my tinfoil hat to shield my brainwaves from Alien Mind Readers and the Illuminati, but today I'm hatless so that I can write about preparedness from a non-paranoic standpoint. Please don't get accustomed to blogposts with a rational train of thought, this is very hard for me. I'd like to list a variety of mainstream reasons to become more self sufficient that have nothing to do with collapse or doomsday scenarios.






  1. Buying canned goods on sale or buying produce in season makes good economic sense. Buy/stock up when prices are lowest. Nobody expects you to buy a garagefull of Q-tips, but purchasing extra when they're on sale saves money.



  2. Inflation. It's a fact of life. Buying tangible goods now, saves money later.



  3. Doing more for yourself means that money can be diverted elsewhere to things that you can't do.



  4. Home canning ensures a level of quality that simply can't be found in mass produced food.



  5. Having extra food in the pantry allows you to help those less fortunate when times are hard for them. Nobody can predict every tornado/hurricane/job loss, sometimes we're caught unaware and thinking ahead lets you help others. Faith in action. One of my followers is a military wife who wrote that when the Government was threatening shut-down they were potentially facing the future with what they had on hand because no money would be coming in.



  6. For young women: learning how to provide for a family can serve you well if you marry a poorer man (or one who loses his job). Maybe you'll end up on the mission field and your knowledge will bless many. And besides, making money stretch farther is a blessing even when times are good!



So, what happens when you're on board but your husband/wife/parents aren't? I read about this a lot on a homesteading forum I'm on, there seem to be fewer families where both spouses have the preparedness mentality. It can make it a lot harder to be the only one, and nobody wants to appear irrational or paranoid. My advice is to do what you can do and rest in the knowledge that you did what you could. God will bless the motivation and effort, I believe. The number one thing to have is SKILLS! Skills go with you where ever you are so pick what you need/want to learn and do it! Learn to can/dehydrate food, learn to make toothpaste and deodorant, learn to sew and mend and darn, learn to churn butter and light a kerosene lamp. Learn to cook meals without expensive or store bought ingredients. Learn to bake bread. Areas of expertise like these will never be worthless and can be a blessing to others. Any other tips or suggestions, readers? Pooled knowledge is a valuable asset.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Paris! I have learned lately that even though I am in the city and might be a loner on the preparedness front, I can do tons with my 1/3 acre bit of land! So much to learn, so little time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great skill for anyone is how to shoot, kill, skin, gut, and cook an animal for your own consumption.
    I've been kinda proud of myself these last couple of days! Shot 3 wabbits, and had them dressed within 10 minutes! (shot them because they ate a whole garden...grrrrrrrr....)
    Sorry for the gore, but that is one skill you didn't mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. G, you crack me up. :) Great post, though! I love your candid thoughts about mind-reading aliens. They might be out there, you know. Har har har. :)

    I still have lots of practical home-making skills that I don't know, mainly in the cooking side (including knowing how to dress freshly killed meat), and especially wild herb-gathering side). If you can't buy herbals, or can't get to a doctor, knowing how to identify safe herbs is a huge asset. I'm fascinated with herbalism. I'm trying to learn more about what's in my own back yard.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to leave a comment. Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.