Your Shopping List
- A 25 pound bag of rice for $9.69 gives you roughly 250 3/4 cup servings.
- 3.24 lbs instant mashed potatoes for $5.48 gives you 65 half cup servings.
- 6 lbs Peter Pan peanut butter for $7.28.
- 9 lbs Quaker Oats for $6.76
- 2 cans (117 oz each) Bush's Baked Beans for $11.12
- 24 gallons of water for $23.00
- Ketchup, 114 oz for $3.38
- Powdered milk, the most economical way is to buy the 6 pack from Augason Farms, this gives you 540 servings but costs $61.72. If you can't afford that much up front then buy a smaller box of powdered milk this week and another next week etc.
- 2 cans powdered butter 356 servings for $34.76
TOTAL BILL $163.19
OK, so now you're griping, "I don't want to eat nothing but beans, oatmeal, rice and peanut butter for a whole month!" Well, you know what? Neither do I. BUT, it's sure better than starving to death, isn't it? Buy your basics this week and next week add some fruit or canned vegetables, things that please your palate, but get the high protein items first! Augason Farms has tons of preparedness items at Sam's Club, look around and prioritize what is a necessity and what can wait until later. Remember to buy water, lots and lots of water! You can do this, one step at a time, just determine that you're going to take responsibility for yourself and your family and get started! And if nothing ever happens and you're stuck with all this food? Well, if you don't want it then donate it to a food pantry, feed it to your chicks or find a needy family who will appreciate it.
After your food storage is pretty well complete, or even when you're just in the process of gathering your items, remember the first rule of food storage is: there is no food storage! Resist the urge to announce how prepared you are. For instance, I personally have no food storage, I think it's a stupid idea and the Government is going to fix the crisis we're in with no upset to me personally. I don't really can food or have animals. I can't fix a toilet or even light a candle. Raw milk is dangerous and Lee Harvey Oswald was working alone.