Sunday, November 7, 2010

Our Song

Do you and your spouse have a song? A special "just you and I song"? When Mr. G and I first knew each other, I was 15 and he was 18, our song was "Every Breath You Take" by the Police. My Mother found the message behind the song (at least when associated with her daughter) to be a bit creepy. :-) But he left for Washington and Jefferson College and we lost contact and there went "our song". When we reconnected years later, I was now 18 and he was 21, our song then became "April Skies" by the Jesus and Mary Chain. Mind you, I didn't choose either special song, it was Mr. G's musical taste that reigned, not mine. I grew to enjoy the music that he liked, well mostly anyway, and he grew to like some of what I liked. We don't listen to any song here that doesn't sound sweet being lisped by a 3 year old. It's a good rule of thumb that works well for us. It also means that some songs that I previously enjoyed, I can no longer listen to. I used to like the Red Hot Chili Peppers but most of that just isn't kid-friendly. If "Angie" by the Rolling Stones comes on the radio though, I'll turn it up and sing along. Same with the Boss' "Pink Cadillac", Led Zeppelin's "Thank You", Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" or Pearl Jam's "Black". I enjoy religious music, mostly older hymns and especially Sacred Harp but I can't stand Contemporary Christian Music. I mean, it's fine if you do, but CCM makes me want to run bamboo skewers under my finger nails. I don't think there's anything wrong with "secular" music, songs that speak about human love, loss, happiness, whatever. The Song of Solomon is, after all, about some pretty basic human things. :-) Mr. G and I celebrated our 20th anniversary this past week and privately renewed our vows. Marriage is good, I am happy. I have added 2 new songs to the "our song" repertoire: Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"; love, love, love that song! And Jack Johnson's "At Or With Me", a happy, particularly danceable song.


What's your song and what's the story behind it?

7 comments:

  1. Then, We've Only Just Begun, and now, At Last and God Leads Us Along.

    Isn't it funny how we pick out the tunes and the lyrics that seem to melt us into one another? We do like CCM but not all of them (Love the message.) and we adore Shape Note music.

    Thanks for bringing back old memories.

    Blessings,
    Frank and Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post!
    Okay - - we didn't really have an "our" song early in our relationship, but, as we grew closer we both became rather big fans of Emmylou Harris, and her duet with Don Williams - "If I Needed You" - was our wedding song.
    A number of years later "Just To Be With You" by the Passions (a '50's doo wop group) became a favorite that we would request at the 50's sock hops we would attend.
    Lately it's been "In My Life" by the Beatles. I am a super major Beatles fanatic and Patty has grown to love them almost as much as I do.
    Paris, I am 100% with you on CCM - I cannot stand it! But, I, too, really like the old time hymns. There's just a feeling I get when I hear the old ones - the CCM just leaves me empty and cold.
    Patty, unfortunately for my ears, loves CCM. So I get her back with a bit of "Stairway to Heaven" (heh heh).
    "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin has always been a favorite and a truly beautiful song that I originally wanted for our wedding song, but my wife has very bad memories of any Led Zeppelin (due to her family life while growing up) so she stays away from them.
    But, "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues is one we always dance to when the opportunity arises.
    There is only one song that literally brought a tear to both of us - "Our Town" by Iris Dement. A sad song but so full of imagery.
    (By the way, this may or may not surprise you, but in the early 80's I was heavily into punk and new wave. But, that's another story).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank and Pamela, "Isn't it funny how we pick out the tunes and the lyrics that seem to melt us into one another?" nice imagery that and I couldn't agree more!

    Ken, I know what you mean, Gill is *not* a Led Zeppelin fan but he can handle "Thank You". He wants to know what punk music you liked, he was really into it too. The Clash (the only band that matters), P.I.L, Generation X, and Johnny Rotten's band whose name I won't write here, all former favorites of his. I'm *so* glad that that's in the past. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ramones, X-Ray Specs, the 1st Johnny Rotten band (the Never Mind album), Circle Jerks, Clash, Jam, and the new wave of Blondie, Adam and the Ants, Bow Wow Wow....and in the late 80's/early 90's I liked Nirvana, Sonic Youth, and the Hoodoo Gurus.
    Lots o' fun music for the time!
    And it helped that I worked in a record store during the era.
    And now I listen to 18th and 19th century folk and popular tunes, as well as contemporary bluegrass done in a traditional style.
    And the Beatles. Always the Beatles.
    By the way, Happy belated Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw...well, Happy Anniversary! (You cracked me up about the bambooo skewers. I feel the same way about rap and most rock music.) It's especially nice to see a marriage still going strong after 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 20th Anniversary!

    David and I must be very simple or very old-fashioned, since I knew very few of the songs you listed. "Our Song" has always been "You Are My Sunshine" which, thankfully, meets the requirements of being adorable when sung by a 3 year old. :P

    Our early days of courtship (?) and marriage were hard, hard, hard. But this was a song he'd sing to me if I was crying or having a rough time, and it's one he loves to hear me sing to him! Another song that has become "ours" is Kathleen Mavourneen. . .he particularly likes it when we sing it at the piano together a la The Killer Angels.

    Oh yes! One more! When we were still living at his moms house in the early days of our marriage I was busy tidying up our "home" (his tiny back bedroom) and he burst in the door one day bearing gifts for me, then he played the music and sang "To Make You Feel My Love" which made my just start crying like a baby! So that is a special one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, yes indeed it is a small world! Mr. G has many wonderful memories of W&J (mostly involving his Fraternity and liquor, but still...) :D Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to leave a comment. Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.