Monday, October 25, 2010

This is for you Ma

Ma, over at Abundant Life Farm (if you want to read about other big, homesteading, midwifing, gardening, canning, blogging type women then head on over and be inspired) asked the meme question about "how do I manage". After I got done laughing at the very notion of me managing anything, I decided to sober up and type up an answer. OK, short answer: I'm a rotten manager. Truly. It's one of my worst qualities. Long answer would run something along the lines of: I don't know any big families who *truly* do it all, I think that's a sham that we use to beat ourselves up with. We think maybe so-and-so is the good example of the Proverbs 31 ideal, while we must content ourselves to have our life serve as a horrible warning. That's me, the horrible warning. :-) I think no matter who you are, how many children you have, whether you work or not (as if I don't work???), whatever, something has to slide. We all have priorities; maybe yours aren't homemade clothes, or homecooked food, but you have other things that are really important to you so the lesser things slide. That's how I find it anyway. My friend Anna has an immaculate house, but she rarely if ever reads to or plays with her little ones. Anna likes it, but *I* wouldn't, so I accept chaos in order to do the things that I think a good Mommy does. I think if we lived in a bigger house, actually had closets or storage space, etc I might do a little better. We generally have stuff everywhere. I'm bad at putting things where they go, but Katie is really good at it and I'm so thankful that I have her. She's been forbidden to marry btw. :-)
We get school done most days, people get fed and washed up before bed, chores get done, I make sure that I have all children present and accounted for and that's a good day. Anything else is icing on the cake. I must confess to often feeling like a homemaking failure and wishing that somebody who manages better would give me lessons. I tried MOTH but I despise the regimentation, I want a guideline not a bunch of rules.
I'm sorry for such a non-answer but honestly, it's the best I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, swell! I could probably come right in to your house, and you into mine, and we'd both feel like we're at home! Thanks for answering, and I agree with you about the priorities. Only problem is my buckets have taken over....
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like real life. You are right we all have priorities. I tried the CLEAN house every minute of every day and guess what I was a tyrant. Don't do this and don't do that - I gave it up. My children were much higher on the priority list. Our house was fine but not perfect. The boys and I read and cooked and played and learned and explored etc... Those are the important things to kids not whether the floors were mopped and waxed daily.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to leave a comment. Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.