Monday, February 2, 2009

Self sufficiency how-to

This is the post where I will try to answer your questions and give you recipes etc. I think for ease (mine!) I'm just going to do this as a bulleted list and then I won't have to worry about grammar and proper sentence structure. ;-)



  • We grow open pollinated seeds. We've used "Heirloom Seeds Company" before but there are many others that specialize in non-GMO seeds.

  • I have had a smaller round dehydrator for years and it's mostly what I dry my herbs in. This past summer I found an Excalibur dehydrator on Craig's List that I snapped up, it has a lot more space, so for fruits and vegetables it makes more sense for me to run it. I dried strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pears and apples. For vegetables I did corn, green beans, broccoli, squash, zucchini and tomatoes. The advantages of drying are that it doesn't destroy enzymes like canning (and especially pressure canning) and doesn't require the use of fossil fuels to keep it preserved like freezing does. As to the taste, well, I think the taste is superb! There was no loss of quality to anything except the strawberries. They discolored, perhaps I should have used "fruitfresh" but I wasn't sure.

  • Homemade cleaners. OK, I want to be totally honest, I don't always use homemade! Sometimes I think bleach is really handy to have, like for sanitizing after the flu. I do scrub pots with salt for cleanser and use tea tree oil in a squirt bottle (diluted of course) to wipe sinks and toilets. I've never made homemade detergent that I like but I do like Charlie's Soap for laundry. They have a very informative website, go read it!

  • Toothpaste recipe. We don't buy store-bought toothpaste because of the fluoride and because they have artificial sweetener in them, most of which are carcinogenic. The recipe is *roughly* 1 cup of baking soda (freshens breath), 1/4 cup salt (kills bacteria), 4-10 drops of oil of cloves (cavity fighter) and enough water to make it spreadable. If you're used to hyper-sweet store bought, well, be prepared! You will learn to like it and I guarantee your mouth will never have felt so clean, but it does take getting used to. Just resolve that you're GOING to do it and don't look back!

  • I had a cloth diaper business a few years back, I wish I could access my web pages because it had a plethora of information. Cloth diapers, like maxi-pads are super absorbent because they are loaded with chemicals. When you switch to cloth you will find that you are changing diapers every hour for little babies, they need to be changed *way* more often. So when you think about it that way, it really makes you realize how long and often babies are soaking their tender parts in a urine/chemical cocktail with disposables. Pads are the same way except that there is anecdotal evidence that throw-away pads make you bleed more; the "super absorbency" chemicals actually promote blood flow. Once I switched over, I found that to be true, I bleed a lot less and for fewer days with cloth. As with diapers, they do need to be changed more often. Mine were made by a friend and I'm not sure she's doing it any more but do a search on "mama pads" and you should get a zillion hits. I think they are more comfortable though they do shift somewhat, I like wings personally.

  • A couple of things that Zebu asked: I buy organic raw milk now that we sold our goats and I trust the farmer that the milk is wholesome. I think that's the key, to know who you're buying from! That's the same for the eggs, farm fresh *can* be better but not if the farmer is feeding them GMO soybeans, for instance. BTW, I am totally against soybeans, they contain crazy high amounts of phyto-estrogens and wreak havoc with the hormone balance in humans and animals. Read "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon, it will really open your eyes about how and what you eat. I can't recommend it enough!

  • About growing herbs and using them medicinally. My article in the spring issue of Farming Magazine is about beginning the transition from traditional, allopathic medicine to home-based herbalism. For those of you who don't subscribe (and you should!) I will copy the article in its entirety here. If I've missed anything or not answered your questions please let me know!


The Backyard Herbalist
By
Paris-Lynne Graham

Many people are becoming interested in taking charge of their health through the use of herbalism, but are unsure of where to begin. This month’s “herbal primer” is written with them in mind as a gentle introduction to the wonderful benefits gained from simple natural herbs that are already in use in your kitchen. Using herbs that are already familiar to you will make the transition from allopathic-thinking to natural-thinking an easier bridge to cross. Here are some tried and true natural tonics and remedies to start you down that road.

Thyme: Thyme is an antiseptic, antispasmodic, tonic, and carminative. It is an old-fashioned remedy for whooping cough and is still employed today for sore throat and catarrh. Thyme tea is useful in cases of colic or gas and it helps in promoting perspiration at the onset of a cold.

Basil: Basil tea is useful for relieving nausea and vomiting. It is also a remedy for mild nervous disorders and rheumatic pains.

Rosemary: This herb is a tonic, astringent, diaphoretic, and stimulant. Rosemary tea is useful for headache, colic, colds and nervous diseases. Combined with sage and honey it makes for one of the best cold and congestion remedies I know.

Cinnamon: The properties of cinnamon are carminative, astringent, stimulant, and antiseptic. Generally combined with other herbs it is used for vomiting, flatulence and diarrhea. Combines well thyme and basil.

Cloves: Oil of cloves is one of the most important elements in homemade toothpaste; it is a cavity preventer and works wonders when dabbed on a painful tooth due to its anesthetic properties. Straight from your cupboard, it is useful for indigestion and dyspepsia when brewed into tea. It is also a strong germicide and antiseptic and can be used to soak wounds.

Sage: Sage is a stimulant, astringent, tonic and carminative. What is viewed by most people today as a condiment was formerly used as a cure for dyspepsia. Brewed into an infusion it is useful for mouth wounds, bleeding gums and abscesses and as a gargle for sore throats. Made into a tea it is valued for reducing fever, as a tonic for slowed digestion, and for headaches and pains in the joints.

Fennel: Fennel is an old-fashioned remedy that was formerly used as the main ingredient in “gripe water.” Fennel tea was combined with baking soda and honey and used to treat gas pains; made without the baking soda it was employed to treat chronic coughs. The smell is said to be disliked by fleas and can be sprinkled in kennels and stables to drive them away.


You now have seven gentle herbs that you can use to treat your family. As with any new or unfamiliar treatment, begin slowly! Start with a cup or two of tea sipped slowly and observe the effect; when the desired result has been reached you can note how quickly the treatment took to work. This is useful information for you to keep track of as it helps you to remember dosages and times that memory alone might forget.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Paris--Thank you! What a wonderfully written article with so much information!

    I have one question I just thought of. Every year, something eats my flowers. I can't ever see it, but it eats away at one plant until it no longer flowers and stops growing. I'm not much help, as I don't know the breed of that particular plant and don't see the insects, but any thoughts you might have on herbs or something to keep garden pests away would be much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks so much for taking the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zebu, I am by no means a master gardener but you might try soapy water sprayed on the plant or tobacco. Most pests dislike tobacco but research that further before you try it because it seems that "tobacco tea" might be caustic to tender plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a fantastic post! So informative for David and I. Your information on cloth diapers really hit home with me, since right now I'm dealing with the issue of whether or not to cloth diaper Malachi, and of course now I have my monthly womanly thing to deal with again and I really don't like to use the disposables.

    Jenny, I'm SOOOOOOO envious of you! We live just a tad too far away from New Salem to volunteer there, unfortunately, since our car takes too much gas to make the trip often. :( It is one of my favorite places in the world, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever tried drying pumpkin? I did a little preliminary research on it last harvest and saw that dried pumpkin is sold over the internet. I read that it can be used in baking recipes when ground like a flour, but there is little information on the how-to of using it after drying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aelwyn, I've never dried pumpkin but I did dry squash and reconstituted it is yummy! With our tomatoes after they were dried I pulverized them, so it is tomato powder and works great in soups/sauce etc.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to leave a comment. Thank you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.